1.6.10

Its OK if you dont know...

Its TOTALLY fine if you're not a huge wine drinker, but PLEASE don't act like one.

I'm sitting with the bartender and a pair of some of our favorite regulars, trying to explain the features I had lined up for the upcoming weekend. I get about half way through my little speech and I happen to catch the host of the dinner talking about Cabernets, and certain wineries he enjoyed going to...though, he pronounced it "Cab-er-nets", (like a basketball net). Hoping that he was joking, I continued with my friends at the bar. After another few minutes, the server approaches the table with a few flights of some wines she thought they may like and passes them around. They sip on them for a while and eventually ask the server back. Sure-freakin-enough, the guys says, "Yes my dear, We will have a bottle of the CaberNET." She kindly asks him to repeat which one he asked for, seeing as she must have heard him wrong. Again, he asked for the CaberNET. I ask my guests to hold on for just a second as I know this situation could turn horribly wrong very quickly. I take the 4 steps it took to reach the table in a calm but rapid manner and introduce myself as the Chef, and sincerely apologized because there was an emergency phone call for the server and I would be happy to finish taking their order. She gave me a look of terror and went to see the bartender who would be the one with the phone. I proceeded to take the order, thank them for stopping in, reassured them their choices were fantastic, and their drinks would be out shortly. The server was waiting in the kitchen for me, angry as hell! She yelled at me for taking the table, blah blah, and I rebutted with how she had NO idea what the guy was trying to order. In the end, we were all laughing so hard we had tears running from our faces. Eventually, the table was leaving, and I pulled the gentleman aside, and in my best effort as to not embarrass him, explained how to pronounce his wine. He just starts laughing his ass off, which confused the hell out of me! He went to explain that he made a bet with his friend with him on the basis that he would pronounce it wrong the whole night and see if anyone would correct him. He would have won the bet if I had not confronted him on their way out. Sorry for screwing you out of $10 bud, I just couldn't let you go elsewhere and be a moron again!!

No comments:

Post a Comment